Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Digital pH tester faq area:

  1. What kind of pH tester should I buy?
  2. What kind of calibrating solution?
  3. Do I need storage solution?
  4. How often do I calibrate the tester?
  5. How do I calibrate the tester?
  6. How do I clean the pH tester?
  7. How do you test the pH of your cm from your cervix? (do not stick in tester in vj.. sides of vj pH don't really matter)
  8. How do I test semen pH?
  9. Any thing else I should know?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
What kind of pH tester should I buy?   The Hannah HI 98103 : http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=002003&ProdCode=HI%2098103
What kind of calibrating solution?  You need the big bottle of pH7 buffer (H17007) and pH4 (H17004) or pH10 (H17010)  
Do I need storage solution?  Yes, if the electrode is dry, it needs to be immersed in storage solution (H170300) for about 30 minutes to reactivate it.  Also when you're done using it, wash it and then place a few drops of the storage solution into the cap before you put it away. 
How often do I calibrate the tester?  The instructions say calibration is recommended weekly. 
How do I calibrate the tester?  Put the tip of the tester into the pH7 buffer and allow the reading to stabalize.  Then using either your nail or a flat head screw driver adjust the top trimmer (pH7) on the back of the test until the reading is "7.01"  Rinse the tip of the tester and then put the tip into the other buffer solution you purchased pH4 or pH10.  Once the reading has stabalized then using your nail or flat head screw driver adjust the bottom trimmer (pH4/10) until the reading is either "4.01" or "10.01"
How do I clean the pH tester?  purchase the cleaning solution (H17061).
How do you test the pH of your cm from your cervix?  I swipe my cervix when I check it and use the sample from that to test pH.  If there's not a lot, I scrape what I have ontoo a q-tip and test pH from that.   
How do I test semen pH?  I have DH give sample in a cup and I just place the electrode directly into the sample.
Anything else I should know? 
  •  I try not to handle the tester using the sides instead of allowing my hand to touch the back of the tester.  The calibration trimmers are located on the back and I am avoiding that area in order to prevent accidentally changing the calibration on the tester. 
  • If it seems to be hard to calibrate and won't stay on a nember, CHANGE THE BATTERIES!  Mine was a pain before that and I didn't like it at all.  I bought new battteries and threw the ones it came with in the trash and it works GREAT now!  I bought the batteries at Walmart for less than $5.00 used two and still have 3 or 4 left.  It takes watch/hearing aid  batteries.
  • Here's the PDF file for the instructions for the Hannah Hi_99104: http://hannainst.com/manuals/manHI_99104.pdf